Pages

Thursday 22 November 2012

Tutorial: How to apply patterned paper to chipboard

We have a wonderful range of plain Fabscraps chipboard die cuts in store at the moment. There are lots of fun ways to embellish chipboard, but my favorite thing to do is to cover it with pieces of patterned scrapbook paper from my scrap box. It's so simple to do, as you will see in this tutorial.

Materials: 

  • Plain chipboard die cuts (I used Fabscraps pinwheels)
  • Scrapbook paper (I used Glitz Dance in Sunshine Stripe)
  • Adhesive (either double-sided tape or a glue stick that won't buckle your paper)
  • Cutting mat
  • Craft knife 
  • Decoupage Scissors
  • Sanding block or fine sandpaper 
  • Optional: Ink pad and dimensional magic


First cover your chipboard shape in adhesive. I'm using double-sided tape, but you can also use a glue stick to get an even coverage.


Lay your chipboard on the scrapbook paper, face down on the negative side of the paper. Because I want to see the beautiful stripes on the chipboard, I'm sticking the chipboard to the other side of the paper (the dark brown side).

If your chipboard is an odd shape (like mine) use a craft knife to cut around tricky corners on a self-healing cutting mat. If it's a more uniform shape, decoupage scissors should work fine!


Once you've cut out your shape, you might find that the edges are a little rough. Sand them down with your sandpaper or sanding block. At this stage, you may wish to ink the edges with an ink pad. I used Tim Holtz Old Paper Distress Ink to distress my edges.


To seal the shape, I coated it in Dimensional Magic. This gave it a nice raised shiny surface. I usually leave my shapes to dry overnight, and then they are ready to go the next day.

I hope you enjoyed learning how to cover your chipboard shapes. Come in store and check out our beautiful range of Fabscraps die cuts!

- Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment